ZAR® Patch Wood Filler
Please note, colors are RGB web approximations of the actual shades.
Currently out of stock. Select another size or find your local dealer.
See Return Policy
Shipping included. Taxes not included.
Regional shipping restrictions may apply.
ZAR® Patch Wood Filler is a latex compound that both contractors and savvy do-it-yourselfers rely on to fill nail holes, and repair cracks, gouges, broken corners, minor blemishes, and chipped edges on wood surfaces. It’s excellent for a variety of uses because it only shrinks a little, and can be nailed, sawed, sanded, or drilled. ZAR® Patch Wood Filler can be used indoors or outdoors, and accepts paint, varnish, shellac, polyurethanes, and stains. In fact, it actually accepts stain more readily than conventional wood patching compounds.
Coats: 1, 2 for deep patches
Clean Up: Soap and water
Coverage: 56 In3 per quart
Dry Time: 1 hour 30 minutes — 2 hour set time
- Latex base
- Available in neutral, red oak, white, golden oak, dark tone
- Application with non-metallic trowel or putty knife
- Ideal for nail holes, cracks, gouges, broken corners, and chipped edges on wood
- Accepts stain uniformly
- Greatly diminishes the lighter area or "halo" effect surrounding the patch when patch requires a wood stain
- Can be sanded, sawed, or drilled
Remove all dirt, grease, oil, and loose particles from the patch area.* Dampen surfaces to be patched with water. Do not use when material and/or air temperature is below 40°F.
To Use as a Wood Patching Compound for Cracks and Holes
Apply with a smooth edge non-metallic finishing trowel or putty knife, or use the 3 ounce tube to apply ZAR® Patch Wood Filler directly into the imperfection. Press the compound tightly into place, building the patch up slightly higher than the surrounding area. Patches under one-quarter-inch wide and deep will usually require just one application and may be sanded after one hour. Deep areas should be filled in layers, allowing each layer to dry between applications. Sand after each layer has completely dried. Allow the patch to dry overnight before applying an oil-based stain, and let it dry for 1.5 to 2 hours before applying latex paint. All exterior applications must be top coated.
To Use as a Wood Filler for Open-Grained Woods Such as Oak and Mahogany
Reduce ZAR® Patch Wood Filler with water until a creamy consistency is obtained. Apply against the grain so the material fills in the pores of the wood. Let it set for 5 – 10 minutes and scrape off excess material in the direction of the grain with a non-metallic scraper. Allow it to dry overnight. Sand lightly and apply ZAR® Interior Oil Base Stain or the ZAR® Polyurethane of your choice.
Wipe off excess patching material with a damp cloth immediately after application. When dry, sand the patch with medium grit sandpaper. Allow the patch to dry overnight before applying an oil-based stain, paint, varnish, shellac or polyurethane. Wait 1.5−2 hours before applying a latex stain or paint. All exterior applications must be top coated with a paint or solid color stain within 24 hours. Not for use on exterior wooden decks or other exterior horizontal surfaces.
Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused contents in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
USAGE STATEMENT: Prior to use, carefully read the product label and follow the directions. For technical information, warnings, cautions, notices, and additional information, download and read the documentation available on this website.
California Residents: Prop 65 WARNING(S)
* WARNING: If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1 – 800-424-LEAD or visit www.epa.gov/lead.