ZAR® Exterior Oil Base Poly Ultraviolet is ideal for wooden marine surfaces that are located above the water line, exterior doors (fiberglass and steel), patio furniture, fences, gables, and other wood surfaces exposed to extreme, harsh weather.
- Provides superior protection on exterior wood surfaces
- Outperforms other exterior clear finishes by 2-1
- Finishes: Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Satin, Matte
- Sizes: 11 ounce spray, pint, quart, gallon
- Coverage: 500-600 square feet per gallon
- Application tools: brush, spray
- Dry time: 4-6 hours
- Coats: 3
- Recoat: 2 hours
Sand smooth, using fine sandpaper, in the direction of the grain.* If the wood is rough, sand with medium grit sandpaper and finish with fine grit. Remove sanding dust with a tack cloth or cloth dampened with paint thinner or mineral spirits.
Old Finishes in Good Condition
Remove grease, dirt, and wax.* Sand lightly in the direction of the grain to remove any gloss. Remove sanding dust with a tack cloth or a cloth dampened with paint thinner or mineral spirits.
Old Finishes in Poor Condition, Lacquer or Shellac
Remove completely.* All finishes or stains containing wax or water repellents must be removed. Remove sanding dust with a tack cloth or a cloth dampened with paint thinner or mineral spirits.
Exterior Surfaces of Stained Steel or Fiberglass Entry Doors
Do not sand stained door surfaces. Wood stain must be thoroughly dry.
Note: to ensure satisfactory results, always prepare a sample or test the product on an inconspicuous area to determine compatibility prior to completing the entire job. Do not apply over finishes containing stearates or aluminum oxide.
Stir ZAR® Exterior Oil Base Poly Ultraviolet thoroughly before and during application. Stirring is not required for the Gloss sheen. Do not shake. Apply straight from the can. Use a clean bristle brush. Dip the brush in the can and let the excess drip off. Flow ZAR® Exterior Oil Base Poly Ultraviolet on. Avoid over-brushing which may trap air bubbles in the finish and result in streaks. For best results, apply when air and surface temperatures are above 50°F. Avoid applying in direct sunlight or within one hour of dusk as dew will dull the finish. Apply 3 coats.
11 ounce Spray Can Application
Apply when air and surface temperatures are between 65°F and 85°F. ZAR® Exterior Oil Base Poly Ultraviolet spray cans should be shaken vigorously before and during application, except the Gloss sheen. Practice on scrap wood to establish proper spray technique. Hold container 10-12 inches from surface. Apply light, even strokes. If bubbles or runs occur, wipe them clean with paint thinner or mineral spirits. Allow each coat to dry for at least 2 hours. Drying time may vary due to temperature and humidity. Sand lightly. Do not sand fiberglass or wood grained metal surfaces. Remove sanding dust with a tack cloth or a clean rag dampened with mineral spirits. Reapply. Apply a minimum of 3 coats. Allow final coat to dry for 4-6 hours.
Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused contents in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
USAGE STATEMENT: Prior to use, carefully read the product label and follow the directions. For technical information, warnings, cautions, notices, and additional information, download and read the documentation available on this website.
* WARNING: If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or visit www.epa.gov/lead.