Selecting and Specifying Interior and Exterior Wood Stains and Protective Coatings
Course Number: UGL 0620
Course CE Credit: 1 LU/HSW CE Hour (Health, Safety, and Welfare)
Presenter: Harry Lubitz, CSI, CDT, IIBEC, ASTM (email@example.com)
AIA Provider Number: 404108947
Course Type: On-Site Lunch & Learn Presentation at Your Location
This course will help building design professionals to:
- Learn how interior and exterior wood stains and protective coatings were created and have evolved over time.
- Understand the specific components of wood stains and protective coatings and become knowledgeable of what defines quality, value, and end result satisfaction.
- Evaluate VOC content and select the correct products to comply with state and/or regional regulations and meet LEED v4 requirements.
- Become aware of the variety of products available and the proper uses for these products.
- Select the specific types of wood stains and/or protective coatings based on the task, and build the correct finishing schedule.
- Evaluate specific warranty properties.
- Review the MasterFormat® specification section dealing with wood stains and protective coatings, and provide examples of proper specification techniques.
- Be knowledgeable and skilled in safe handling and disposal practices.
Upon completion of this course, building design professionals will be able to:
- Describe the history of wood stains and protective coatings, as well as the components that make up these products.
- Select interior and exterior stains and protective coatings based on performance, quality, value, and satisfaction of the end result.
- Understand VOCs, government regulations, and LEED v4 requirements.
- Recognize the different uses of these products, and select the correct product and application sequence for the task.
- Know the specific types of product warranties and how to make the best choice.
- List the specific MasterFormat® divisions and sections in which these products are placed, and exhibit the skill set to develop or source a finishing schedule.
- Articulate safe handling and disposal practices, and identify recycling opportunities.