After applying ZAR® Deck, Fence and Wood Stripper, use ZAR® Deck, Fence and Wood Brightener to achieve the best results.
- Sodium hydroxide solution
- Exterior, horizontal or vertical surfaces
- Size: gallon
- Coverage: up to 150-200 square feet per gallon
- Application tools: synthetic brush or deep nap roller, and a synthetic stiff bristle broom or brush
- Wood decks
- Wood docks
- Pool wood decks
- Wood porches
- Wood siding
- Composite surfaces
How To / Videos
Wear protective goggles and waterproof gloves. Use ZAR® Deck, Fence and Wood Stripper only with adequate ventilation. Use it only when the outside temperature is above 50°F and no rain is forecasted for a 24-hour period. Spray all vegetation thoroughly with water prior to and after application. Cover vegetation and siding for protection. Do not allow ZAR® Deck, Fence and Wood Stripper to come into contact with fabric, furniture, metal, or floor covering. Exposure to aluminum may cause corrosion. Do not mix with bleach or other chemicals. Always test on a small, hidden area. Sweep the surface clear of all debris and dirt.* If the surface is hot to the touch, cool it down with water. Remove any standing water. After stripping, certain hardwoods may exhibit tannin bleed-through or darkening. To brighten wood, or remove tannin and rust stains, use ZAR® Deck, Fence and Wood Brightener.
ZAR® Deck, Fence and Wood Stripper is ready to use. No mixing is necessary. Cover any areas you want to protect. On vertical or horizontal surfaces, apply the product with a synthetic brush, deep nap roller or garden sprayer, working from the bottom to the top, or working from one end on 5-7 boards at a time. Allow the product to sit on the surface for 15-20 minutes, keeping it wet with additional product as needed. Scrub the surface with a synthetic stiff bristle broom or brush as the finish is beginning to lift. You can also use a hose or power washer with a 40 degree tip on low (500-1000 psi) to remove the stripper. If stubborn coatings remain, repeat the process. Note: solid stains may require additional coats of stripper to adequately remove the coating.
Allow the wood to dry thoroughly before applying a water-based finish, and at least 24 hours before applying an oil-based finish.
Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused contents in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
USAGE STATEMENT: Prior to use, carefully read the product label and follow the directions. For technical information, warnings, cautions, notices, and additional information, download and read the documentation available on this website.
* WARNING: If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or visit www.epa.gov/lead.