ZAR® Clear Wood Sealer can be applied to new or old wood that has been left unstained and unpainted. Its unique, oil-based formula delivers durability and the ease of soap and water cleanup.
- Protects against water penetration
- Ultraviolet absorbers protect against sun damage
- Use with confidence on new, pressure-treated wood
- Sizes: gallon, 5 gallon
- Coverage: 300 square feet per gallon
- Application tools: brush, roller, garden sprayer, applicator pad
- Dry time: 2 hours to touch
- Coats: 1
How To / Videos
The surface must be clean, dry, and in good condition. Remove all mildew, dirt, dust, loose wood fibers, paint flakes, mill glaze, oil, and grease.* Test the wood for factory treatment by sprinkling a few drops of water on the surface. If water is readily absorbed into the wood, proceed. If not, DO NOT apply ZAR® Clear Wood Sealer. Wait 1 month and then retest. Repair or replace any loose, cracked or warped boards. All mildew (dark, fuzzy or powdery deposits) must be removed with ZAR® Deck, Fence and Wood Cleaner. Or, use the following solution: one-third cup heavy-duty laundry detergent to 1 quart household bleach to 3 quarts of warm water. Apply with a scrub brush. Rinse thoroughly and allow it to dry before applying ZAR® Clear Wood Sealer. Wear eye protection and waterproof gloves when handling the solution.
For Old Grayed Wood Exposed to UV (sunlight) for More Than 3 Months
Power wash the surface to remove the thin layer of degraded wood and clean surface as above.* Allow the wood to dry thoroughly after power washing before applying ZAR® Clear Wood Sealer.
Apply only when surface and air temperatures are above 50°F and less than 90°F. Do not thin. Stir thoroughly before and during application. Do not apply if rain is expected within 24 hours. Avoid applying in direct sunlight. Apply using a synthetic brush, roller (short nap), spreading pad, or garden sprayer. Avoid uneven application and surface puddles (keep a brush available to brush out puddles). Apply 1 coat only. Allow overnight drying before subjecting to traffic. Do not apply if rain is expected within 24 hours. Recoat when wearing shows in high traffic areas on decks. Note: applying when temperatures are higher than 90°F or in direct sunlight can cause premature water evaporation, leading to poor penetration and/or lap marks. Under these conditions, dampen surface prior to application.
Areas with harsh exposure to sun, weather or foot traffic will show wear more quickly than other surfaces. If this occurs, clean the affected areas and recoat as necessary.
Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused contents in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
USAGE STATEMENT: Prior to use, carefully read the product label and follow the directions. For technical information, warnings, cautions, notices, and additional information, download and read the documentation available on this website.
* WARNING: If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or visit www.epa.gov/lead.